Tax Planning/Business Taxes

Question
Ok I'm thinking of taking a business trip to actually go look at property on the west coast (I reside on the east coast). But would like to use it as a tax deduction.  What information would I need to take from that trip in order to show it was a business trip and I want to write it off?

Answer
What business are you in?  Are you actually in business?

This may be a startup expense.  It may be an expense that would have to be included in the capitalization of the asset you eventually acquire.

Facts and circumstances of your trip govern if and where the expense may be deductible.

I hope this helps.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA