Tax Planning/W-4 Withholdings

Question
Hello Owen, I am head of household filing joint with my wife and 2 children under 10. The youngest being 3, for the past three years we have gotten a pretty hefty return. Last year for example we got back $5k because of all the credits but I paid in $1,600 in taxes. Could I have not paid any taxes and got back $3,400? Is the math that simple or would my credits have been less because I didnt pay taxes throughout the year even though that was all coming back to me anyways? I'm thinking of adjusting my withholdings to pay no taxes throughout the year and get less of a refund going foward. This is in Tennessee and there is no state tax. Only federal. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Answer
Chris - Assuming that everything this year is the same as last year in terms of income and deductions, then the net effect would be the same.  If you have $-0- withheld, your refund would have been the difference.  It is that simple, however,wWithout seeing your return, I cannot say definitively, but it appears from what you have described that is the outcome you could expect.

I hope this helps.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA