Tax Planning/IRA cash in

Question
Hi Mr. Arnoff, my wife and I are over 59 1/2 now and have small IRA's.  We bought a rental house recently and will show a loss because it is late in the year.  If we cash in our IRA's, will the rental investment loss help reduce our tax liability on the IRA's?

Thank you for your time,
David

Answer
David, In a word, "yes" but hopefully, this medium of communication will make it clear.  

The top half of page 1 of Form 1040 is a bucket of all your income from all sources, including categories that create a negative number.  All the plusses and minuses will come to a grand total of your income.  After your income, you have adjustments to income (bottom of 1040) and on page two you have your standard or itemized deductions and your personal exemptions.  What is left is, theoretically, your taxable income.

All things being equal, if you are simply thinking that one item (rental losses) will offset another item (IRA) and that will reduce your taxes, then the answer is yes.  But you have to include all other factors to make sure the answer is correct in your case.

I hope this complicated explanation answers your original question.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA