You are here:

Tax Planning/adult child SSI and taxes


My son has been on SSI since he was 5 yrs old (autism, he turned 19 in Oct. and is still on SSI. (They did a redetermination and qualified again as an adult.) He lives with us and does not have a job, he is also out of school now. Can we/do we still claim him on our taxes? And do we say "yes, he is Permanently and totally disabled". Thank you for your time and help, it is very much appreciated.

Yes, you can still claim your son. And, yes check the Permanently and Totally Disabled box - if things change in the future you can address the change the year of the change. As long as he is on SSI you should be able to claim him as a dependent.
Best regards,

Tax Planning

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Richard S


My expertise is in collecting past due taxes and tax returns. While at the IRS I worked on wage and bank levies, liens, Offer in Compromise, late filing and payment agreements every day. I spoke with over 20,000 people concerning their issues while I worked there (just retired).


Ten years working for the the IRS in Collections and tax return review. Worked with over 20,000 people on their IRS issues. Explained their options and usually worked out a solution while they were on the phone.

Masters Degree from Iowa State in Ames.

©2017 All rights reserved.