Tax Planning/Paying an assistant

Question
QUESTION: My husband is a licensed Realtor, working as an independent contractor.  We live in CA.  I have been doing most of his admin/clerical work (as much as I can without a license of my own) for the last year.  I am not otherwise employed.  For 2015 we plan to start paying me as a subcontractor for the admin work.  Also, within the next 2-3 years, we plan to purchase a new home.  My husband had a horrendous identity theft issue three years ago and had to file bankruptcy.  Needless to say, we would be relying on my credit/income alone to purchase a new home.  My credit is excellent, but we need my income to be high enough to qualify.  My question is, can my husband pay me, as his assistant, most (if not all) of his gross income, minus other business expenses, so that all of our family's net income appears in my name on our return, rather than his?  I would, of course, pay income tax on what I am payed.  In other words, is there a "cap" on what he could reasonably write-off as payment to his subcontractor/assistant?  We file married/jointly.  Thanks!

ANSWER: There shouldn't be an issue on what is paid to an assistant, but when you file jointly, there is no difference when it comes to the income since it is all grouped together.  If you are trying to show all the income, you may be better off being paid as an employee, but you probably don't want to overpay yourself for tax purposes.  However, you indicated that wasn't an issue.

QUESTION: Thank you for such a swift response.  Could you explain why it may be better to pay me as an employee rather than a subcontractor?  Also, wouldn't having an employee bring along additional expenses...such as work comp?

Answer
Regarding worker's comp, family members are excluded (you wouldn't sue yourself or your spouse for an injury on the job).  

Being paid as an employee allows for several added benefits: (1) state disability in CA; (2) unemployment coverage; (3) ability to set up a Health Reimbursement Arrangement whereby your medical expenses could be written off as a business deduction.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA