Tax Planning/1099 misc

Question
Hi Mr Arnoff,
I have a  Small Business, sole proprietorship Home remodeling.
I hired a guy to do some work for me as a sub contractor.
When I tried to send him the 1099 miscellaneous form, his address and EIN was fake.
His work cost me $5,000 and I paid him with checks.
How do I deal with this issue ?
Do I have to pay the taxes over that amount as if it was an earned income even though it was a business expense ?
Thanks.

Answer
Robert - You have learned a valuable lesson (if you didn't do it up front)...NEVER issue a check to ANYONE unless they fill out a W-9 BEFORE you ever pay them.

My advice is this: you did pay him with checks and they cleared.  If you have his invoices, you did the best you could.  If you DID get the W-9 form from him up front, you are not required to verify it, so you did all that was legally required.

I hope this helps.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA