Tax Planning/Income Tax Question

Question
Mr. Arnoff,
I was unemployed all of 2013.  The only income I had was some interest income, most of which was in my IRA.  I usually itemize deductions, and have way more deductions than I have income this year.  Would it be smart to go ahead and file an income tax return anyway?  Or would I be all right just to not file a return this year?
Any suggestions, advice you can offer are greatly appreciated.

Answer
Lee - It would depend entirely upon what information has been reported to the IRS from third-parties.  If you are confident that the IRS shows less income reported to them from others than would be required, then you may not have a filing requirement for this year.  However, if you are trying to qualify for Obamacare, you may wish to file anyway just to preserve your subsidy for health insurance purposes.

Just a thought and I hope it helps!

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA