Tax Planning/Reporting US savings bond interest on decedent's final return

Question
My father died in 2013 while my mother died a few years ago. They owned 8 EE savings bonds that they bought in their names, registered as “Tom or Jane.” I have completed a first-pass of my father's final income tax return and there is an advantage to reporting some of the accrued interest from these EE bonds on this return (compared to reporting this interest on my return in the year that the bonds mature or I cash them in). I would like to report the interest on only 2 bonds rather than all of them or none of them. Can I report the interest from just 2 bonds on my father's final return?

Answer
Under the cash basis method, none of the increase in value of bonds (interest) is reportable until the earlier of the year the bonds are cashed in or disposed of or the year in which they mature.  Using the specific identification method, a cash basis taxpayer (most are) MAY elect to treat the annual increase in value of series EE bonds as income in each year. (See Code Section 454; Reg 1.454-1(a))

So, yes, you can report on whichever bonds you decide on, but keep careful records!

I hope this helps.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA