Tax Planning/Buying vs Renting a Home

Question
My business partner and I will be starting a business together here in California in the next 6-12 months. I am currently renting a home and am wondering if now is the right time to buy a home in order to maximize tax deductions from my new business? I realize that owning a home offers certain tax advantages over renting, but what I am really looking to find out is if it will be more advantageous tax-wise to own a home versus renting when I will own 25% of my new business. If you need more specifics from me, please let me know. I appreciate your feedback on this. Thank-you.

Answer
Those two issues are not related. Your owning a home would have no affect on the business. And you owning 25% of a business would not directly affect you owning a home. Your home mortgage interest deduction is only applicable to your personal income. Only if you have taxable personal income would the mortgage interest deduction apply.

However. . .

If you intend to borrow money to buy a house, changing your status from "long term w-2 employee" to "new business owner" will adversely affect your ability to qualify for a mortgage.

"Deduction Hunting" does NOT contribute to business success. Your business does not need more deductions it needs more revenue. Focus on revenue building, not spending. ESPECIALLY when you are just getting started.

Until you make a profit, taxes do not apply.

Tax Planning

Richard Fritzler