Tax Planning/Rent vs Buying a Home

Question
My business partner and I will be starting a business together here in California in the next 6-12 months. I am currently renting a home and am wondering if now is the right time to buy a home in order to maximize tax deductions from my new business? I realize that owning a home offers certain tax advantages over renting, but what I am really looking to find out is if it will be more advantageous tax-wise to own a home versus renting when I will own 25% of my new business. If you need more specifics from me, please let me know. I appreciate your feedback on this. Thank-you.

Answer
Michael - I really don't have enough information from you to adequately answer this question.

What I can tell you from what you are asking, though, is that the two items have little to do with one another.  Expenses for owning a home that are deductible don't offset business income in the strictest sense.

You don't tell me what form of business you are involved in, how you will be compensated, what your total income will be, etc.  If I had that information, I could at least outline some scenarios for you and you could make a decision from there as to what makes the most senses.

But you can't really look at the two situations (being in business and owning a home) as linked together from a tax standpoint.

I hope this helps a little.  If you want to get me some more information, I'd be glad to assist further.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA