Tax Planning/tax

Question
During tax time the person who did my taxes said because I do not qualify for itemized deductions (too little expenses) my mortgage interests paid in 2013 of $5,000 cannot be used in any way. Is that true? I live in Md. I think he said for itemized a person would have to have over $10,000 expenses.

Answer
It depends whether you are filing jointly or single.  If you were filing single, $5,000 is close to the amount ($6,100), but you can also add property taxes, vehicle license fees (for car, boat, trailer, motor home, etc.) plus charitable contributions, and miscellaneous deductions.  If you are filing jointly with your spouse, then $5,000 is not enough to come close to itemizing.  The standard deduction is over $12,000 for couples.

I hope this helps.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA