You are here:

Tax Planning/residence for taxes


If I become a snowbird going from MN to FL how do the state taxes work?  I have rental property in MN which we live on but we would be in Florida for 9 months of the year.  So do I have to file a MN state tax form or am I considered a Florida resident and pay no state taxes?

If you change your residency to Florida (drivers license, voter registration, etc.) then you can declare yourself a Florida resident and enjoy the no state tax. You'll have to check the MN state laws (sorry not an expert on state laws) and see if rent qualifies as income. If it does you would still have to pay the MN state taxes no matter where you live.

Tax Planning

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Richard S


My expertise is in collecting past due taxes and tax returns. While at the IRS I worked on wage and bank levies, liens, Offer in Compromise, late filing and payment agreements every day. I spoke with over 20,000 people concerning their issues while I worked there (just retired).


Ten years working for the the IRS in Collections and tax return review. Worked with over 20,000 people on their IRS issues. Explained their options and usually worked out a solution while they were on the phone.

Masters Degree from Iowa State in Ames.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]