Tax Planning/tax

Question
QUESTION: I have an internet magazine and I want liability protection therefore I want an LLC. My question is if for example if I get an LLC in one month can I include expenses in it from 3 months past? Also, what kinds of expenses can I include and how does that affect my personal taxes?

ANSWER: Is there a specific reason why you have chosen an LLC?  Are you aware that it places you in the highest possible effective tax bracket possible?

To answer your question, anything incurred prior to the actual start of the business must be capitalized.  However, you can write off the first $5,000 in start-up expenses and the first $5,000 in organizational expenses.  Anything above those figures must be amortized over 15 years.

I hope this helps.

QUESTION: I got the idea of LLC because all or most other online magazine are listed under an LLC so I thought there was a good reason.
1. What would give me the best tax benefits?
2. Also, what if one of my writers plagiarizes and I need some sort of protection. What is the best route?

Answer
Al - The answer to your first question "what would give me the best tax benefits" depends on a number of factors, but generally speaking, an S-corporation has the ability to provide great flexibility and opens up opportunities for greater tax benefits that either a single-member LLC or a multi-member LLC.

The answer to your second question is to check with a risk manager or insurance broker.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA