Tax Planning/Costs of keeping house on the market for sale.

Question
I have a house on the market for sale.  It has been on the market for over a year, and won't get sold this year.  I have been paying various expenses and maintenance fees (HOA, utilities, A/C maintain, and other).  My question is, are these costs deductible for purposes of my 2015 Federal Income Tax, or must I wait for the house to sell to claim those expenses?  The house has not been rented.
Thanks

Answer
David,
If you claim the place as a rental you can deduct your expenses for 2015. When the place sells you can deduct the cost of getting it ready for sale from the sales price. I believe the time window for the deductions in preparation for the sale is 6 months. Best of luck. RS

Tax Planning

Richard S