Tax Planning/estate planning

Question
I hav been diagnosed with lung cancer and want to arrange things for my son.  The problem is I have real estate that is now worth about half what I paid for it seven years ago with no buyer in sight as well as some that I could sell for a profit. Additionally I have been carrying capital losses for years that I would be able to offset the profit on the ones that have appreciated.  If both kinds of property are still in my estate I'm wondering how to structure things so my son can take advantage of the losses I have been carrying all these years rather than pay tax on the profitable ones when he eventually sells them. Can he keep the estate alive and file tax returns using the losses to offset whatever profit?

Answer
Clem - the answer will depend on whether your trust is a revocable trust or not.  Unfortunately, when you pass away (and there are other sub-rules to this) your capital loss carry forwards die with you.  And, for property that has gone down, it is a double whammy because instead of getting a step up in basis (a good thing) your heirs get a step down in basis.  But, it might work out just as good anyway as far as the assets are concerned, depending on the total value.  But as far as the capital loss carry-forwards, there is no way to preserve them after death.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA