Tax Planning/Taxes on Rec. Living Trust in ILLINOIS

Question
Hi Owen,
My parents had a revocable living trust. Both of them have passed. I am a successor trustee. Some of the money is to be retained by the trust, and paid to my brother $1000.00 per month. The trust earned about $900.00 in interest last year. How do I go about figuring the income taxes for the trust? ALSO, some US savings bonds (that were in the trust) were transferred into his name. No taxes were paid on these bonds. Can these bonds be transferred back into the trust? and would there be any tax advantage by putting the bonds back in the trust?

Answer
Bob - I am not an expert on trusts, but I can tell you this -

1. You will need to file Form 1041 for the trust.
2. In order to properly select the correct type of trust, and thus determine whether taxes are due at the trust level or the beneficiary level, the entire trust document would have to be read by a competent preparer.

I suggest you find someone in your local area who specializes in the preparation of trust returns.  Only a select few preparers are familiar with the complexities of the preparation of a 1041.  I personally do not prepare 1041s.  A good place to start is to find an Enrolled Agent in your area.  

Visit http://www.naea.org for more information and a searchable database.

I hope this assists you.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA