Tax Planning/Investment Property Question

Question
Hello!

We are planning to do $25K in renovations to our investment property this year.  We are either going to fund this with a HELOC loan or by cashing in US savings bonds.  The face value of the bonds is about 1/3 of the current value, so we would be paying taxes on 2/3 of $25K ($16,666).

In deciding which way to go we're wondering what the tax implications would be if we are using the money to upgrade the rental unit.  I was told we could apply the tax amount on the 1099 towards the expenses of the rental unit.  If that's true, and we take a loss on the unit when we include the bonds taxes, would we offset those taxes?

Appreciate your advice!

Chris

Answer
Chris - There are several conflicting things within your question, but the best advice I can give you is to use the HELOC.  It is fully deductible since you are using it to improve the property and you will be able to depreciate the improvements over time.  The cost of the renovations might help to offset the income from the bonds OVER TIME, but not in the year in which you do the improvements simply because you would be taxed on the entire amount of the interest on the bonds but get very little in that first year to offset it.

I hope that helps.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA