Tax Planning/IRA contribution

Question
I am eligible for IRA contribution for upto 5500. If I do so, my refund increases by about 1000$. I am planning to go to graduate school for may 2015.
Can I open IRA account of $5500 now to increase my refund and later use it to pay for my tuition payment? is it a good idea to do so,would it increase my income bracket for 2015 tax return. Please advise.

Answer
With some limitations, you can take money out for education purposes and will not pay a penalty, but you will still be taxed on it and will increase your income for the year of withdrawal. The expenses must be paid in the year of the withdrawal to qualify for this exception to the pre-mature withdrawal penalty.

I hope this answers your question.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA