Tax Planning/IRA contribution

I am eligible for IRA contribution for upto 5500. If I do so, my refund increases by about 1000$. I am planning to go to graduate school for may 2015.
Can I open IRA account of $5500 now to increase my refund and later use it to pay for my tuition payment? is it a good idea to do so,would it increase my income bracket for 2015 tax return. Please advise.

With some limitations, you can take money out for education purposes and will not pay a penalty, but you will still be taxed on it and will increase your income for the year of withdrawal. The expenses must be paid in the year of the withdrawal to qualify for this exception to the pre-mature withdrawal penalty.

I hope this answers your question.

Tax Planning

As an Enrolled Agent, I am fully capable of providing tax advice as it relates to personal and business income taxes. Enrolled Agents are the only Federally licensed tax practitioners and are admitted to practice before all administrative functions of the IRS. My specialty is working with small business owners who file Schedule "C" and helping them to structure their business in such a way as to maximize as many tax advantages as possible. I also enjoy working with individuals who have both routine as well as complex tax situations. I prefer to concentrate on individuals and small business tax planning.

I have a 25 year background in financial services including tax, bookkeeping, insurance, real estate and securities. I was previously the Chief Financial Officer of a local and national franchise organization. I am currently semi-retired, but used to own (in partnership with another EA) an individual and small business financial engineering firm where I work with nearly 2,500 individuals and small business owners in nearly every state and almost every continent, assisting them in all aspects of their tax and financial well-being. I have prepared or reviewed more than 8,000 tax returns in my career.

National Association of Tax Professionals

Enrolled Agent, Admitted to Practice Before the IRS, Accredited Tax Preparer, Fellow of National Tax Practice Institute, Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor (1999-2011), Sleeter Group Certified QuickBooks Consultant, Life & Disability Insurance Agent License (California, Texas, Maine), Real Estate Agent License (California); Many years of continuing education in all these fields.