Tax Planning/Surprise Capital Gains Taxes Owed

Question
Mr. Arnoff--
I relocated last summer to take a job 2.5 hours away in another city. I bought a house in the new city before selling my former one. I sold $100,000 worth of mutual funds that I had held four years in order to make the downpayment and bridge the period until I could sell my former house. The former house sold Dec. 15, 2014. I procrastinated on my taxes, and when I sat down last weekend to prepare them using a commonly available major tax online program, I watch the little meter begin to tally up a huge liability -- around $13,000 owed -- apparently from capital gains and income on the mutual funds I sold. My wife and I (both age 60) file jointly, and our gross income is around $224,000. My wife is eligible to put $6,500 into an IRA; I am not, since I am covered by a generous work-sponsored retirement account. At this stage, is there anything I can do before April 15 to reduce this tax bite? Neither my wife nor I claimed any decductions on our salaries.

Answer
Mike - You are asking a very general question.  You have not provided me with any other information other than your salaries and your sales of mutual funds.  In order to really analyze your situation, I would need to see all the facts.  Without them, I could not give you any more specific advice to you and would be doing you a disservice.  There are quite a few ways of reducing your taxes, but I don't have enough information to assist.  Would you be willing to contact me directly so I could ask you further information?  

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA