Tax Planning/Finding an EA

Question
I live in Houston, TX and have processed my own federal returns for years, but this year I need to file my deceased mother's taxes and her small estate return, so I'd rather not do it myself. For the most part, I think I can do it, but there are a few questions I can't seem to find answers to. Places like Block, Jackson Hewitt are a joke. I worked there one year and realized I know much more than even the supervisors. I can't afford a lot and am hoping I can get good service and save a little money by going to an EA rather than a CPA. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the EA subject and how I would go about finding one in Houston.

Answer
Ed - This is a grEAt question!  EAs are known for being America's Tax Experts.  The best place to find a local EA is to visit the web site of our national association or even the Texas Association.

Here are their web sites...

http://www.naea.org  There should be a search feature for finding a local EA.  Simply place your zip code as a search criteria and see who comes up.  I'd do a little telephone interview with each of the ones you narrow down.  

http://txsea.org/ This is the Texas association web site.  Their search feature doesn't appear to be working at the present time, but you can probably call their office.

My suggestions is don't shop for price -- shop for the one who is the best fit.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA