Tax Planning/MLP's

Question
How is a Master Limited Partnership's General Partner taxed? Are there any special rules for the General Partner?

Answer
Distributions from MLPs to unit holders receive favorable tax treatment under the IRS code. An MLP is a pass-through entity, and partnership income is only taxed at the level of the partner. Distributions are not taxed when they are received, unlike dividends, which are taxed during the tax year when they are realized. Instead, the distributions are considered a reduction in the cost basis in the investment in the MLP. The tax liability from the distributions is only realized when the interest in the MLP is sold, and is thus deferred.

An MLP is a hybrid between a partnership and a publicly traded company.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA