Tax Planning/Reporting tax on EE bonds

Question
Hi Owen,
I have some EE savings bonds that will mature in 2017. I didn't report the interest  each year, I let it accrue over the 30 years of the bond. I was planning to redeem some in 2017 and some in 2018 to spread the taxes on the interest over 2 years. I just stumbled across some info on the US Treasury Bond website that says that the taxes on interest must be reported when the bonds are sold OR in the year they mature. Correct me if I'm wrong, I won't be able to redeem any of the bonds in 2018 and report that interest on my 2018 taxes?? But, I can redeem some bonds in 2016 and report the interest on my 2016 taxes. Then sell the rest of the bonds in 2017 and report that interest on my 2017 taxes??

Answer
Bob - According to the Treasury Department web site (https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ebonds/res_e_bonds_eetaxconsider.htm), the year the bonds stop earning interest is when the tax on the interest must be paid if you haven't been reporting it each year.

You're correct in your assumption that redeeming in 2018 is not the issue; if they mature in 2017, they get reported in 2017.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA