Tax Planning/US Taxes and Dual Citizenship

Question
QUESTION: HI Owen,

We are Australian parents who lived in the USA a number of years ago and had our son in the USA.

Our son now has dual citizenship (Australia and US).

Recently, we saw that US Citizens can be liable for taxes in the USA even though the US Citizen lives in another Country and pays taxes in the Country that they live in.

Are you able to clarify this for me please?

Thanks so much,

ANSWER: Here is an article that explains the tax obligations encountered with dual citizenship.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/040715/when-dual-citizensh

QUESTION: Hi Owen,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I read the article and it still seems a bit unclear. Is there a way to get some more certainty on this?

Do you know what the situation is if an American Citizen living in Australia (not dual Citizen) with regards to taxes? This person works and pays Australian taxes as well as compulsory retirement funding.

Thanks,

Answer
The certainty is that 'yes' they do need to file a tax return in the US.  Whether they will owe any money is a different story.  As usual, the answer depends on facts and circumstances.  I would contact a tax advisor in Australia who is familiar with tax requirements for US ex-pats.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA