Tax Planning/w4

Question
Owen,

Thank you for volunteering your time on this site.  I recently was hired into a new role and I am in the process of completing my onboarding docs including my w4 for the state of Maryland. Naturally, like most people I'd like to maximize my take home pay and i noticed that under status the options for MD are Single (I am divorced), Married (surviving spouse or unmarried Head of Household), and Married.  I filed as Head of Household on my 2015 returns and I qualify but my question is is there an advantage to selecting this option for my w4 status??  

Many thanks,

Harry

Answer
I am unlcear about why you say "advantage".  If that is your filing status, it is perfectly OK to use it.  That status has benefits between Single and Married as far as the standard deduction is concerned.  Also, if you are asking about your Maryland status, I am not familiar with Maryland specifically.  I am only taking about the Federal level.  There is a tool you can use to determine the best number of exemptions to claim -

go to --> http://www.paycheckcity.com/ and click on "W-4 Assistant" and that should help you!

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA