Tea/Electric kettles

This question isn't about tea specifically, but I'm desperate.  I've searched everywhere for answers, and I still have no idea what to do.
Basically, the past four electric kettles I've purchased have all developed weird discoloration on the bottoms.  At first, I thought it may have been the chemicals and additives in our water, but the last kettle I bought came out of the box with these markings.
They are essentially black spots that form a ring around the bottom of the kettle.  It looks like a mold ring.  Other kettles I've had have taken several uses to get the "mold ring," but this one had one out of the box.
Can it truly be mold?  I'm so frustrated.  I've spent so much money on electric kettles, and I have searched endlessly online.  I can't find any straight answers on what it is.
Like I said, I know this isn't about tea specifically, but I thought you could give me some insight as a fellow tea-drinker.  Maybe you've had this problem, or know someone who has.  Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
PS: I'm sorry there's no picture to go with this, but I'm currently without a camera.

Hello, and thank you for your question! I'm sorry to tell you that I've never seen this issue myself, so I can't give you a direct answer. I would suggest that you contact the manufacturer as I suspect that it has something to do with the material the kettle is made of. Usually, the black rings you're describing would come from impurities bonding to the plastic, so you would definitely want to contact the manufacturer if it came out of the box that way; it may be a manufacturer defect. You can try cleaning it by filling it halfway with water and adding a 1/2 cup of vinegar, then boiling, letting it cool, and scrubbing with a non-metallic pad. Be sure to rinse several times over. If this does the trick, then it's probably a defect caused by impurities. If not, then it's probably something else. I'm sorry I don't have a more direct answer for you, but I hope this helps!

I can answer questions about the preparation of tea, the different kinds of tea and their properties, and many of the other questions I know you tea drinkers and would-be tea drinkers have.

Tea has become something of an obsession for me. I prepare loose-leaf as well as bagged tea, and am starting to explore the many different kinds.

Graduated high school with high honors