Teaching Advice/Homeschooling Special Needs Children

Question
In your professional opinion, do you think homeschooling is right for children with special needs? If yes, what advice would you give to parents of special needs kids who are thinking of going this route?

Answer
I would say that home schooling is one option among many for the education of children with special needs. Most, if not all, school districts have programs for children with special needs. They are generally staffed by people who have a specific desire to work with these children. They also have the training and ability to work as a team with the parents in crafting the educational program for these children.
My specific advise is as follows:
1. Check with your local school district and see what programs they have available for you. They can range from a pure home school program with minimal district support to inclusion programs where the children are included within in range of the child's ability to interact in a classroom environment.
2. Become a member of a parental support group for students with a same or similar disability if you are not already. These groups sometimes have educational programs already crafted for parents that want to homeschool their children with these special needs. Thus, saving you having to reinvent the wheel.
3. If you decide to go pure home school make sure the program you choose is compliant with your states educational requirements.
4. Finally,ask yourself if you have the desire, dedication, and patience to devote 5 to 6 hours a day to your child's education 5 days a week. If you are willing to make that sacrifice, then go ahead and pursue it. It can be an adventure in learning for yourself and your child.

As a point of interest, I have a niece and her husband who work in the public school system in my state who specialized in education of special needs children. They love the students and the work. They work very closely with the parents to create the best education for each and every child in their classrooms. I admire them both for their dedication and commitment to teaching these special needs students.
Best  wishes in your decision and educational endeavors.
Dr. Turner  

Teaching Advice

Dr. James Turner