Teen Dating Issues/helping daughter with great inner turmoil

My daughter (my only child) is almost 18 and has been dating one boy for 4 years.  I have recently divorced and she and I moved away from her father.  We are doing the best we can to adjust but she is extremely sensitive and difficult to discuss fragile issues with, and she is terrified of losing her boyfriend as he left for college and she is still in high school.  She feels she needs to go to his college to keep him which I disagree with and don't advise.  She is suffering and in pain over this fear of losing him.  How can I help her to realize that this fear is useless energy? Are there steps of guidance that she can practice to overcome this fear?  How can I help her?
Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Hey Kim,

Thanks for writing in and dropping a word. It takes a lot to open up about issues in the back of the mind and when its related to our heart, it takes guts to pen down left alone talk with someone about the same. I appreciate your gesture in pouring your heart felt emotions and seeking a helping hand for the same. Kudos to you !!!

Well it normally happens that children always see their parents as role model in life and desire to have same kind of relationship their parents have survived over the years. But when situations go bad and things don't turn positive, like in your case of divorce, it leaves a very bad taste in mouth, leading to insecurity in children. They start getting negative vibes and feel that guy they are with, also might leave them and any distance would lead to relationship turning sour. Your daughter is behaving quite normal, as she is feeling her boy friend would also behave the same way. You need to handle her very sweetly and stand by her side always. Don't keep on giving her lecturers and advices always, otherwise she would feel more irritated and frustrated. You need to take her out, make her happy by being part of things she like doing and making her feel special always. Talk positive about her boy friend in front of her and talk about her future plans. Just stay positive !!

Just go out and give your best and  things would fall in place...

All the best !!

Relationship Counsellor
Bringing smiles on the faces on the way .....

Teen Dating Issues

Relationship Counsellor

I am quite experienced and matured enough to handle questions related to following topics: 1) Love- Friendship 2) Issues in all kinds of relationships. 3) making a relationship work. 4) Effective tips to sustain a relationship. 5) Sex related queries. Well as of now haven't come across any such questions, which would offend me or I lack expertise in, but am a straight forward person and doesn't hold my wordings back. I don't mind being honest in case I lack knowledge about particular aspect and quite flexible to accept genuine views of others or seek other professionals for my case studies, to help the clients out.

Well I have been doing online counseling through my own blog ( for past two years. I have got good response throughout, which has motivated me in going ahead and helping people in their relationship issues and bring a smile back on people's face. I don't say that am a professional in this area, but well sufficient enough to contribute in the aspect of Modern Day Relationships.

I have been an IT professional throughout my work experience of 8+ years associated with IT MNC's like IBM, Infosys Technologies to name few. I have conducted effective counseling sessions for different corporates I have worked with in my private capacity and contributed effectively to employees striking quite a balance in work and personal life.