Teen Dating Issues/long- distance relationship

Question
dear sandi,

my name is mari and i'm 14. i just moved away from my best friend and long time on again off again boyfriend. we recently got back together before i moved 600 miles away and have been together for three months as of yesterday (3/21/14). when i moved about three weeks ago we decided to try the long distace thing but its starting to take its toll on our relationship. we talk on the phone 2 or 3 times a week but when we talked tonight i found out that im just hurting him rather than making him happy. we started talking about whether or not we should try to stay togrther or just go back to being best friend. i have known him for 4 years and never seen or heard him cry until i brought up whether or not we should break up. i know how it makes him feel to be surrounded by happy couples and feel sad cause you dont have your lover by your side cause im going through the same thing, its misserable. all i want is his happiness and i feel like he cant have that when hes in a relationship with me and im so far away. it broke my heart to hear him cry for the first time. im so confused and he keeps saying its up to me, making me feel like im the only one in this relationship. what should i do? i desperately need some advice. please help me.
         sincerely,
         mari

Answer
Hi Mari,

Long distance relationships are very hard. I think its a good idea to break up and just be friends. I don't like the fact that he is putting this all on you though. This needs to be a decision you both agree to. The next time you talk to him I would tell him that you dont like seeing him this way and you think maybe a breakup and just be friends is something you should try. But make sure he agrees to this and just doesnt say its up to you.

Good luck and please let me know if you want to talk more

Sandi

Teen Dating Issues

Sandi