Teen Dating Issues/Minor dating online

In the state of New Jersey, can an adult (early twenties) flirt/date online with a minor(15) and be charged or convicted? Some side information would be there is no talk about to involvement in meeting in person. Everything is kept PG, and there is not one bit of sexual conduct. When talking, it's usually about the game but there will be some flirty comments thrown in such as "cute" or cute names. It's casual flirting with hint at any other possibilities. Mainly, just to enjoy each others company. Is this illegal or can the adult be charged with anything that will land in him with jail time?

Thank you for your time.

I can't give you legal advice, but it's not safe. Flirting can be "interpreted," and it toys dangerously with both sides' emotions, tempting them from the safe side to the dangerous side without you realizing you've crossed it.

And here's another thing when dealing with young people. The law is ALWAYS on their side. If she says that you made her think it was becoming sexual, or you made her think she was in danger, or you made her feel drawn to endanger herself because YOU were older and wiser, then you are screwed.

So I can't answer the legal parts of your question, as I'm not from NJ, nor am I an attorney. But from an expert point of view, stop. There is no reason to do it, and if an adult wanted to "interpret" your reasons (there is the room for interpretation, right there!!), they might become very creative because they are wondering what on EARTH was a 23 year old thinking when he flirted - even if his motives were harmless - with a child.

So, my advice: If she can't show you a license saying she's 18 or older, she's too young.

Teen Dating Issues

Suzi Zimmerman

I am a teacher and I write books on teen dating, self-esteem, and values. I can answer questions on making healthy choices, self-improvement, liking yourself, relationships and friendships, goal-setting, values, and how to handle making difficult choices.

Today 1 in 5 sexually active people has HPV (linked to cancer and genital warts) and 1 in 4 has Herpes. 90% of girls who do NOT use condoms become pregnant each year, and AIDS cases are on the rise. Those who do not have sex will not have to deal with these issues, nor will 99% of those who use condoms correctly and consistently. In short, abstain from sex or use condoms - and use them correctly. Parents of adolescent and teen girls should research Gardasil, a vaccine against many forms of HPV. You may not think your daughter will be sexually active, but this will also offer her certain health protection in the event of rape - or should she become sexually active.