Teen Health/masterbating

Question
hi im 13 and i masterbate sometimes. and how do i tell my mom.also if u kan give me deminstrations on differnt ways i can masterbate.

Answer
Hi

At thirteen beginning to masturbate is a completely normal and age-appropriate thing to do. However, due to its private nature some parents are really uncomfortable bringing it up with their kids. Is there something wrong, or do you have specific questions that you feel like only your mom can address? If you think that your mom would not react in a negative or shaming way, I would suggest bringing it up when you're alone (perhaps in the car). Maybe ask a few questions about sex to introduce the topic, and if then ease in to your masturbation questions. If you feel weird bringing it up, tell her you're getting older and have some questions about your body and sex and that you'd appreciate a comprehensive book on the subject. Changing Bodies, Changing Lives is good, so is S.E.X.: The All-You-Need-To-Know Progressive Sexuality Guide to Get You Through High School and College, and Our Bodies Ourselves is a classic.

As for demonstrations, I can't really help in that department. Everybody is so different that you need to figure out what feels good to you. Start with a good understanding of your personal anatomy. Do you know what all the parts are and how they work? Once you know where your clitoris is, and how everything is arranged, it's much easier to proceed. Make sure you have access to a labeled diagram and a small mirror. Here's some links that might be useful in learning how to self-explore:

http://legacy.owensboro.kctcs.edu/gcaplan/anat2/notes/Image695.gif

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/with_pleasure_a_view_of_whole_sexual_anat

http://www.ourbodiesourselves.org/book/companion.asp?id=13&compID=37&page=1

Basically, when you're just starting out,  figure out what feels good and keep at it - there's really no right or wrong way. A note, if something is painful or uncomfortable stop what you're doing -- when you're young this may or may not include any type of penetration, don't feel as if you need to rush anything.

Good luck,

Julia

Teen Health

Julia Fout