Teen Health/Smoking and Getting Tested

Ok, I'm 14 and last Monday I smoked half of a cigarette and then Wednesday I took a hit from a black and mild cigar and that's all I've ever done. I haven't done it since and don't really plan on doing it again but I'm going to the doctor Friday and I need to know if that stuff or show up in a urine test or blood test? Also if I've smelled weed just the smoke well that show up in it? At the doctors are going to prick my finger and take blood that way so would tobacco show up in that or a urine test? I really don't need my mom to find out about this that's why I'm worried. Thanks :)

So sorry I didn't get to this question before your Dr's appointment! Hopefully the visit went fine and your anxieties were laid to rest, but just in case:

Nicotine can show up in blood and urine but I *highly* doubt that is what your doctor is testing for. Still, smoking is a horrible idea, especially at your age, so don't do it! Also, if you've smelled weed, it will not show up in a urine test.

Good luck,

Teen Health

Julia Fout

I can answer questions about sex/relationships/sexual orientation, HIV/STIs, pregnancy and contraception, nutrition, puberty, how to talk to parents/friends/teachers, depression and anxiety and drug use/drinking.
I think teens need sensitive, practical, fact-based information that's relevant to real life and is drawn from experience - I'm here to provide just that.
Note: I am not a medical doctor, I cannot diagnose illnesses and my advice is not meant to replace the care of a qualified physician.

I have a degree in Psychology and am working towards my Masters of Public Health with the goal of being a Health Educator. In both of these fields I've spent a lot of time focusing on the needs (mental, emotional, and physical) of teens. My undergraduate courses were heavily focused on the development of the adolescent and all accompanying issues. In my graduate program, I've been enjoying learning about disease prevention/control and behavioral health science, especially as it pertains to sex education. Both in school and out,I've logged many hours mentoring and tutoring kids of all ages; competently responding and reacting to their needs and providing thoughtful direction.

East Carolina University
The Brody School of Medicine
Masters of Public Health Program

B.A. Psychology with a minor in Education
MPH Candidate