Teen Pregnancy/Tips on how to get pregnant!

Hi, I'm a eighteen year old college student. My boyfriend and I have been together for a little over five years, and we're ready to parent. But our situation is very sticky! I was on the birth control pill for approxmiately four years and I have irregular periods - like sometimes I'll go six to seven months wihout one! He's engaged in intercourse with eighteen other women in his lifetime; some used protection, others did not, but either way none of them got pregnant. We always used condoms until this past April. We want a baby, but six months later.. still nothing. Is there anything WE can do to increase our chance of fertility? Thank you!

Hi there,

Most young people with no known issues do not need to start worrying about fertility until they've been actively trying to conceive for one whole year. However, the irregularity of your periods is a little strange and I would bring it up next time you visit your gynecologist. Depending on your history they may want to check your hormone levels and make sure you're ovulating regularly. They also might do an ultrasound and check your thyroid function. As far as increasing your fertility: paying attention to your diet (are you eating nutrient dense meals? are you taking your folic acid? are you overweight or underweight?) keeping your stress levels down, tracking your ovulation cycle, and getting a clean bill of health from your doctor are all first steps.

Now I don't know your situation, and I don't at all question you and your boyfriend's commitment to each other, but I really would encourage you to wait to have a baby until after you finish school. I'm assuming you're a freshmen or a sophomore, and as your college career progresses it is going to get more challenging and more time consuming. Do you have your parent's support or another backup plan for when you have to be in class, or when you have to stay up all night to write papers and cram for exams? To me it seems like it might be more practical to focus on one major life event at a time. If you do first one, then the other it gives you the ability to concentrate all your attention and skill into doing well. Doesn't both your education and your future baby deserve 100% dedication? Plus, once you have that college diploma it will you give you access to the kind of opportunities that will allow you provide a strong foundation for your family.

Whatever path you choose, I wish you luck,

Teen Pregnancy

Julia Fout

I can answer questions pertaining to pregnancy symptoms, likelihood of being pregnant, pregnancy prevention, your options once you discover you are pregnant, how to talk to parents, how to talk to partners, prenatal concerns, and emergency contraception.

I have a degree in Psychology and am working towards my Masters of Public Health. Both of these fields require an understanding of adolescent development, health behavior and health education. I am invested deeply in ensuring that teens have access to practical, fact-based information. To provide this I stay current by reviewing peer-reviewed literature, health trends and statistics, and the work of activists in the field of pregnancy, sex education, mental health and general well being.

BA in Psychology/minor in Education
MPH Candidate 2014