Teen Pregnancy/13

my friend is 13 and i would like to know what are the side effects because she believes she is plus her boyfriend is 15 and he denies that it is his! what should we do?

Hi N,

Are you talking about the symptoms of pregnancy? Or did you mean the side effects?

Early pregnancy symptoms can include:

1. Missed period - the most obvious and usually the earliest sign
2. Swollen or sore breasts
3. Nausea - not usually felt until the 5th or 6th week
4. Extreme fatigue
5. Backaches/ Headaches
6. Mood swings/cramping/bloating - very PMS-like

Has your friend actually taken a test? That's step one. Step two, I would refer your friend to her local Planned Parenthood so she can discuss her options. If she's considering abortion she needs to be aware that some states require parental consent or notification and should call this hotline 1-800-772-9100, or check out this site: http://www.positive.org/Resources/consent.html for more information. Regardless of whether she turns out to be pregnant, this boyfriend sounds like a jerk she should be encouraged to dump him immediately.

Good luck,

Teen Pregnancy

Julia Fout

I can answer questions pertaining to pregnancy symptoms, likelihood of being pregnant, pregnancy prevention, your options once you discover you are pregnant, how to talk to parents, how to talk to partners, prenatal concerns, and emergency contraception.

I have a degree in Psychology and am working towards my Masters of Public Health. Both of these fields require an understanding of adolescent development, health behavior and health education. I am invested deeply in ensuring that teens have access to practical, fact-based information. To provide this I stay current by reviewing peer-reviewed literature, health trends and statistics, and the work of activists in the field of pregnancy, sex education, mental health and general well being.

BA in Psychology/minor in Education
MPH Candidate 2014