Teen Pregnancy/Could I be pregnant?

Question
Hello. My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex exactly 1 week ago and for the past 2 days, I have felt cramping like my period but my period isn't due for another week. I did one of the online calculators and it said the day we had sex was a very high fertility days. Could I be pregnant? I have also been to the bathroom a lot. Are these signs of pregnancy or am I losing my mind?

Answer
Hi M,

I agree with the calculator you used, if your period is due around 1/25, you did have sex during a window of high fertility. So, yes, it is possible that you're pregnant. However, if you are, you'd only be a week and a half along - which is probably too early to be experiencing most symptoms including increased urination.

Cramping has been reported as an signal of implantation, but it really isn't one of the more common symptoms and since your period is a week away it could also just be a little PMS. Other early symptoms of pregnancy are increased milky white vaginal discharge, breast tenderness, fatigue and headache/backache. Are you experiencing any of those? Unfortunately, the most glaring sign that you're pregnant is a missed period. As the days following a missed period are also the earliest you can accurately test for pregnancy, so I'm afraid there's nothing really to do at this point except wait and see. If you haven't started menstruating by next week it's probably time to take a home pregnancy test.

Now comes the part for my obligatory rant about using protection: condoms are truly a must. They're cheap (sometimes even free), easy to use, they have the added benefit of protecting against STIs and plus they make clean-up super easy. Any guy who won't use condoms doesn't want to sleep with you bad enough to make him worth it. Also, depending on your age/state, Planned Parenthood can help hook you up with discounted or free birth control pills. If you have any questions about condoms/the pill/etc, get back in touch and I'd be happy to offer suggestions or information.

Good luck,

Julia

Teen Pregnancy

Julia Fout