Teenage Problems/Should i message him?

Question
So I'm 14 from the UK. I'm in year 10 at the moment. A few days ago i thought of this boy. I've known him for ages since i was in primary school and in the last year of primary school we were quite close. However we moved to different secondary schools 3 years ago and we haven't spoken or met up since then. He's my friend on Facebook and i thought about messaging him. The thing is, I'm not sure if he'll remember me or want to speak to me. he's into skateboarding and i am as well, sort of. i have a skateboard but I'm not very good, so i thought we could meet up if he wanted to. but i don't know whether to message him or not, so should i?

Answer
Hi there Charlie,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me and I hope that I can help.

Firstly, let me apologise for not getting back to you sooner but with Christmas and having work commitments, it has not been easy to sit down at my computer. That said, I hope you had a good Christmas and I am sorry.

Facebook is brilliant at staying in touch with people but all too often we end up with friends on there that either we don't really know or don't see anymore so they become just another number or face. But if the people that are our 'friends' online are also good friends 'offline' then it is a brilliant way of keeping up the communication and finding out what you all have been up to. From what you have described about this guy, there is no harm in messaging him to wish him a happy Christmas or to just say 'long time no see, how you doing?'. If you drop him a message with a general conversation starter then there is no reason why he should not reply. Worst case scenario, he doesn't reply, in which case, it does not really matter as you have not physically seen him for so long anyway that you both have your own lives so you have nothing to lose.

Keep the messages light hearted and fun and talk about what you have been up to and see how interested he seems in his replies. If he replies with a lot of questions or seems to be genuinely interested then keep up the momentum and make an effort to 'like' his statuses on Facebook or drop him a line every couple of days. This should re-establish your contact and help to build up your relationship.

I hope that helps.  

Teenage Problems

Daryl Taylor, BSc (Hons) Psychology, PGDip (pending certification)