Teenage Problems/Voice

Question
Hi. Im a guy and I'm almost 15 years old. My voice hasn't changed yet and I probably have the highest pitched voice in my grade. My friends and classmates never really noticed until their voices changed and mine didn't. I came to high school this year, and surrounded by a lot of new peers, people started making fun of my voice and making assumptions that I'm homosexual. Two or three classmates even asked me if I was gay. (Which I am 100% not.) I don't know what to do. I am embarrassed to talk to my parents about it and I can't really talk to my friends because it seems like they are starting to ignore me. They don't want to be seen around with 'the guy with the squeaky voice'. Should I see a doctor about my voice? What should I do?

Answer
Well this is a common area that cause teasing and to some extent bullying as you said it makes kids think your different and might be gay. However first even kids with the deepest voices can be gay and that is a stereotype that I would love to see disappear along with all homosexual stereotypes. Now back to your question well yes it is a little unusual that you or your friends or family haven't noticed a change in your voice but you personally can rarely notice your voice changing unless it cracks in which case that is an obvious sign. Because you hear your voice all the time you rarely notice a small change in the pitch of your voice and this goes for close friends and family as they are with you too much to notice the little changes. Your voice could be changing right now but very slowly or it may not have started yet which is also normal but on the late end of the stages if puberty.

If you haven't noticed a change in your voice or have noticed any of the big signs of puberty at this stage then you may have a condition where puberty is delayed or worse case scenario your brain doesn't have the proper connections to initiate puberty then this is a medical issue and you need to see your doctor. Your doctor can prescribe a medicine that kick starts puberty but is only prescribed to a severe case. If it is that your body isn't developing as fast as everyone else's then thus is normal and you will just have to wait for your voice to change naturally. A good sign that your voice is changing or is going to change soon is if you notice your Adam's apple developing. That's the little bump you see on grown men's neck.

You should try to talk to your parents about these things as they have gone through it themselves and know what to expect and also genealogy says that the way your parents developed ie were they late bloomers or early bloomers will determine if you will begin to develop later in life. They are there to help you through these issues. Now if you truly can't talk to them for whatever reason I am mores then happy to sit down and discuss all the issues of puberty and growing up with you one on one via email and you can ask me any and all questions. Please feel free to email me about anything your not sure of or are just simply curious about.

Steven_lucas@ymail.com

Teenage Problems

Steven