Teenage Problems/Brother robbing parents' house

Question
Hi Diana

I am writing to you from outside the states. Recently, my 17 year old brother has been sneaking in to my parents' house overnight or at times when he is sure they are not home and taking money, food and most recently a set of car keys. He outright denied the offenses but has been caught on camera.
He has been living with a girlfriend's family, has no source of income and has been known to smoke marijuana (or synthetic alternatives) in the past.

I feel like this is a call for help but we feel powerless until he, himself, will accept that he needs help.
What can we do?

Answer
First of all, he is 17.  He has a long way to go until his frontal cortex (decision-making) is developed.  Next, he is smoking weed which means, his growth towards developing his decision-making will be stunted or incomplete.  He is motivated to support his habit which is why he is stealing.  If he has money, he will use it for weed and continue to steal so he can continue his pattern.  Marijuana use really does not have a treatment plan that works over a short period of time  It is the craving brain that seeks the THC.  His theft is associated with his behavior.  Help? Change the locks on the house to force him out.  Your parents need to know what he has been doing if they do not know.  Burglary is a felony and if it continues, your parents should take action.  He is a juvenile and will receive probation and drug counseling that is forced on him.  I am not a fan of calling the cops on your kids and deal with it the old fashioned way but if your parents cannot get through to him then he gets what he gets.  He will end up with a record that if it is a court of record (meaning they make it public record) then it will follow him.  None of this is legal advice as I am not an attorney.  I am letting you know what he will encounter.  You are correct, if he is ready for help, he will ask. As far as a cry for help?  I doubt it.  He is being selfish.  He is choosing to feel the reward he gets from the marijuana. Only he can change it.  Or a change be forced on him if he continues stealing.

Teenage Problems

Diana Dickinson