Teenage Problems/I have heard my dad and his girlfriend having sex

Question
I am a thirteen year old girl and I am an only child. My dad has a girlfriend and I think they have been together for about nine months now. I have a strong relationship with my dad, and I really like his girlfriend. I have heard them having sex twice now, and it really disturbs me to hear them, and they are right across the hallway from me so I can hear them quite clearly, even though I think they are trying to be quiet and they think I am asleep. It makes me feel uncomfortable to be around them. I don't think I can confront either of them. What should I do? I don't want to make it awkward or break up their relationship or anything.

Answer
Hi Claudia,

Thank you for writing to me.  I have read your question and I think you should get your dad alone and speak with him.  There is no need to be embarrassed or ashamed.  Your dad will understand.  Let him know that you like his girlfriend and you are not trying to come between them but that you feel uncomfortable being around them.  You may want to listen to the radio or watch TV until you dose off if you think you will hear them.  Hopefully, once your dad know that you can hear them they will wait until they know you are asleep to engage in sex.  However, if this makes you uncomfortable, and your dad will probably be embarrassed to know that you can hear them, you should mention it to him.

Respectfully,
Dr. Lee

Teenage Problems

Dr. Shirley M Lee