Teenage Problems/Dating

Hey, so I have kind of a situational question.  I was asked to prom by a girl recently, and we didn't really know each other very well before.  However, before she asked me, we were hanging out and we kissed.  I really want to go to prom with her, she's great and we're friends, but on the other hand I don't want to date her.  Since I've never really dated before I wanted to know if telling her this is rude, and just what to do.

Thanks so much

Hi David,

Thank you for this interesting question.  I think that it is perfectly fine for you to not start dating at your age.  I do not believe that a couple should date until they are ready to get married if they happen to fall in love... It is foolish to stir something that you need to keep quiet until marriage if you do not intend to marry for a long time.  Having said that, the best way to avoid problems is complete and open honesty.  Let her know you do not intend to date anyone, but would like to take her as a friend... this actually may take pressure off of her as well.... get it all out on the table and see if she accepts your terms.  Honesty is the best policy.

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Teenage Problems

Pastor Don Carpenter

I am a father of four and a Baptist Pastor. Before becoming a senior pastor, I was a youth pastor and worker for over 10 years. If you ask this volunteer a question, you will get the benifit of 20 + years experience in the ministry and the counsel of the Bible, God`s perfect book. Feel free to ask any Biblical or moral questions.

I have been involved in pastoral type counseling for 20+ years. Most of my experience has been with chemical addiction, crisis intervention, and some types of severe mental illness. I have some secular training in those areas as well as a Bible College degree.

Evangelical Baptist Church

Revival Baptist Chronicles
The Fundamental Baptist Voice

BS in Bible from Baptist Bible College in CLarks Summit PA
Various training seminars in, Co-occuring disorders, treatment of those who have been sexually abused, and Solution Focused Therapy.