Teenage Problems/Depression?

Hi Shirley,
I having trouble with school and life. I have so much going on at the moment with the start of GCSE's and everything. I struggle with Science really bad, i don't get anything. it goes through one ear and goes out the other. its really frustrating, and puts a lot of pressure when it comes to exams. Lately I have had a lot on my mind. At school my friends have been pressuring me, to own up to something I haven't done. I have talked to my pastoral assistant but she hasn't helped me. The other day I got frustrated in Science, I got up to go and have a drink. As I started walked, my legs just went from underneath me and I ended up on the floor. This has happened twice now, once today. I'm really worried something might be wrong with me. My friends say I have depression, but I'm scared to ask for help. I'm only writing today because I've written to this site before. Please get back to me soon as possible. Thank you.
Chloe :/

Hi Chloe,

Thank you for writing to me.  Chloe, I don't think there is anything wrong with you.  You sound as if you are terrified of your Science course. I would suggest that you get some outside help with your Science.  You are frustrated because nothing seems to be sticking in your head.  If you have a computer at home or can get access to one, I would suggest that after school or in your spare time, look up some of the topics in which you are studying in class in order to get a better understanding.  It appears to me that you are not comprehending what is going on in class and you get frustrated.  Take a piece at a time.  Also, you can wait until class is over and approach your teacher and explain that you are not quite understanding what was mentioned in class and ask for your teacher's help.  Once a teacher understands that you are not getting it in class they will usually tell you where you can get help.  Also, you can get with someone in your class that knows the subject and study with them.  Don't let your pride help you to fail Science.  I think at some point in our lives, we have all experienced that reaction in one or another subject.  For me, like you I had a problem with Science and Spanish.  I still don't understand or like science.  However, I knew I had to pass it in order to graduate.  

Dr. Lee  

Teenage Problems

Dr. Shirley M Lee

I can answer questions relating to youth that are on probation, arrested, has anger management issues, lack of impulse control, problems in school and substance abuse issues. Additionally, I can answer questions about youth with sex issues, domestic violence, child abuse, child sex abuse, as the abuser and the one that has been abused, parent abuse, physical, mental and psychological abuse. I answer questions about marriage and divorce. I can't answer questions about medication that has been ordered by a psychiatrist and it's side affects or should you stop taking it. I can answer the question as to what reason the medication was ordered.

I have been providing care, guidance, and social services for children, adolescents, and their families for 32plus years. I work with young people who struggle with behavioral problems and issues at home and school. I assist our youth in developing healthy living habits and motivate them to become productive citizens. In addition, I work with the parents and families to motivate and encourage strengthening the family. I have worked with families that have been homeless, in poverty, peer pressure, and bullying. I currently counsel with youth that are on probation for battery, domestic violence, petit and petite theft, substance substance abuse and sex offenders. I also speak with their teachers and go into the homes and schools. I am a mentor to all these children and their parents. When help is needed beyond my expertise I will suggest where to take the child to receive the proper services.

Published 6 books and were sold at the Christian Book Store for one year.

Ph.d in Sacred Religious Counseling; Ph.d in Counseling Psychology; MA in Public Administration; BA in Paralegal; Clinically Certified Domestic Violence Counselor; CFARS (CHILDREN'S FUNCTIONAL ASSESSMENT RATING SCALE); and for adults the FARS (FUNCTIONAL ASSESSMENT RATING SCALE. I am also a Licensed Clinical Pastoral Counselor.

Biblical Studies with highest Honors. Magna Cum laude.

In the past I worked for two different agencies as a Case Manager, a Therapist and a Counselor for the youth. I worked under the leadership of the two agencies as an independent contractor. 3 years ago I began working my own business, which has been in existence since 2002 in counseling. Presently I am working with youth that are on probation and is court ordered to take an anger management and/or impulse control class with me. I am also registered with the county to perform marriage counseling and weddings.