Teenage Problems/Prepare for college

Question
I'm going to be a senior in high school this year, and although most of my friends have chosen their subjects and universities, I am still confused. It's not that I don't know what I want (I am interested in Visual art; drawing, painting and reading are my hobbies), I just have a problem with making the right decision for myself and my family. You see, I grow up in a developing country, and my family isn't very well-off at the moment. They are still paying debts for my older sister's education, and my dad is currently jobless. Now I have 2 choices: A: Go to RMIT University which opens in my city and get a BA degree or B: Go to a less-expensive place to get a certificate for Graphic Design. I want to go to University, but Communication, the subject I chose,is very general, and will not get me a secure job in this country. So my parents told me I should take Marketing, which I think I wouldn't make it through the first year. All my life I've waited to be able to study what I love, and I don't want to waste their money and my life studying and working in the field that doesn't suit me. Marketing will get me a secure job and help improve my family's situation, but I highly doubt that I'll be good at it, and the fact that I suck at it will kill my passion and prevent me from working creatively. Should I study the subject I like and trust that things will work out at the end, or do my duty to the family?

Answer
Hi CiCi,

Thank you for writing to me.  It is okay if you have not made up your mind on what you want to take in college. It is not unusual for you to be confused.  You might consider getting a part-time job to assist with your college.

What I always advise young people to study something that you can do and be satisfied doing.  I understand that you want to please your parents. However, you are going to get older and leave home one day.  If you study Marketing and you are not happy with it, you will not give it your best.  Also, if you go into a field a study and you really don't want to study that subject, you are not going to do well.  Graph Arts with a minor in Marketing or take a double major.  That way you will be able to assist your family and do what you want. Additionally, you will probably need marketing skills with the field you are choosing.  If you wanted to open your own business, marketing skills will help you greatly.  You are in a great position because you get to study something that you want and something that you will need.   

I always tell young people that I have never worked a job in my life because I have always counseled and therefore it is what I wanted to do so it never seemed like I was working. I hope that you are offered either grants or scholarships.  You will make it.  One thing that you must understand is that if you are attending a University, the first year is just a refresher of high school courses.  So you still have a chance to declare your major. Please think about either declaring two majors or a major, visual arts, and a minor in marketing.

Respectfully,
Dr. Lee  

Teenage Problems

Dr. Shirley M Lee