Teenage Problems/College

Question
I don't know exactly what kind of questions you answer but hopefully you can offer me some advice :) So I'm a 16 year old girl I'll be a Junior this fall & I'm homeschooled. My mom started doing in home child care when I was around 5 years old..  I went to public school until I was in 5th grade. My mom decided to home school me and my brothers because she decided we would get a better education. She continued doing daycare (she still does) so I'm around children everyday. I remember when I was young and I would play "school" with my little brothers and make up worksheets with them. In the summer when i was younger i would make up crafts and activities to do with the kids. Also when I first started home schooling I loved teaching the kids and I taught a few to write their names. When I was 12 my church was looking for someone to teach Sunday School for young preschoolers. I set up the years schedule and the lessons everyday on my own and I taught the kids. A few summers ago i worked at a day care center. I also babysit for many families almost everyday. My aunts and uncles with kids and parents i babysit for say how great i am with children and how well i am able to care for them. I've also been told many times that i should be a teacher. I'm defiantly a kid magnet, they all love me.. I was recently at a grad party and there was a few young children with nothing to do and i took them aside and colored with them and played. Afterwards, a lady told me that she knows a teacher when she sees one and she sees one in me. Last school year I made up my own preschool curriculum for the daycare children and did it with them. I started falling behind in school so I reminded myself that getting an education is more important. Now that I'm going into my Junior year the pressure is on everyone asking me what I plan to do with my life and what I will be going to college for. I'm smart, I get straight A's, but math I have a hard time. I have a dog and three rabbits and have recently gotten involved with animals and found out I love them, but I love children also. I pet sit for many people and I volunteered at our Humane Society a while ago.The reason I'm telling you all this is because I have no idea what to go to college for. I have considered going to school to be a vet-tech because I love animals but I don't think I would enjoy blood and surgery.. I don't know of any other careers with animals that intrigue me. Obviously I love teaching people, especially children. I would enjoy being a teacher or daycare provider. But I feel like I would be reliving my moms life and I grew up in a home daycare and I want a real career.I know my parents would love for me to have a good career like being a Vet but i don't know if I would really enjoy that but obviously I want a good career to make money because I would love to have a family of my own one day and if I went to school for child care I don't know what I would get paid.

Reading this over, all I talk about are kids and animals but I do other things and I have many friends if you are wondering :) Any advice on how to decide on what to go to college for would be awesome!

Answer
Hi Kylir,

Pretty name by the way. I know figuring out your major can be difficult. I had difficulties too. However, I chose what I loved to do and went for it. You have to do the same thing. There's nothing that says you have to know what you want to be as soon as you go to college. Many students dabble in different things.

However, you don't want to spend too long in college trying to figure out what you want to do either. Go for what you love. If children is what you love and you want to be a teacher than do that. You can also dig up some research to find out how much teachers make; depending on the type of teacher you want to be.

But it's not always about the money. It's about happiness. If you do something that you really love and enjoy doing, you'll feel like you're worth a million bucks. You have plenty of time to think it over too. Don't do teaching because your mom wants you to do it. Do it because Kylir wants to do it. If it's what you love and what you want to do, then you are living out your dream... not your mom's.

Take some time to think about it. You have plenty of it. Don't rush it, it will come to you. Who knows, in another year you might find something else interesting and you'll want to go for that. You have your whole life ahead of you. You'll make the right decision. Follow your heart.

Teenage Problems

Scarlet Murdock