Teenage Problems/need to be with girls!

I'm a nineteen year old girl studying at an engineering college in India. My problem is that I'm not comfortable being with girls around me. I find them boring, and as a result I end up always staying alone in my hostel or sitting alone in my class. I don't know why, but I always enjoy being with my guy friends. But they can't always be with me. I have a boyfriend who tries to spend as much time as possible with me so I don't have to be alone in my room, but he has his own life after all. I don't have the same tastes as normally girls do, like shopping and stuff. I don't like discussing clothes or guys or even gossiping. My music tastes are very different , and there was just one girl I really used to enjoy being with, but now she's moved out of hostel. Is it normal? I mean a lot of times I feel like I need a good girl friend, but there's no one who seems good. My best friend stays in my home town, and I miss her like anything. I'm a complete introvert, so that makes things even harder. Please help me with what to do. It's frustrating being alone, but I'm really bored whenever I try to hang out with any of the girls around me, and I've tried that a lot. It's strange not being able to fit in.

Hi Avada,

Thank you for writing to me.  First, let me tell you that at your age it is not strange for you to have more guy friends than girlfriends. In addition, the field in which you are studying can also contribute to your selection. You stated that you have one good friend back home. With all the current technology in which we have available to us, I don't see why you cannot continue that friendship.

Secondly, you stated that you have another female friend that moved out of your hostel. Are you not still friends because she moved? Again, you can still remain friends through our technological avenues.  

Instead of being alone, you may want to become a part of maybe a study group either by getting or receiving assistance. You did not indicate that you needed any help, so you may want to help someone else. Also, perhaps you could look into joining some extra curriculum activities on your college campus.

If you just need a good female friend, I would look towards the two in which you have already befriended. It is not strange for you to not like shopping, gossiping, or talking about boys with other females. With online activities that are made available to us, we have become introverts because we don't have to socialize together.  It is a shame.

Dr. Lee

Teenage Problems

Dr. Shirley M Lee

I can answer questions relating to youth that are on probation, arrested, has anger management issues, lack of impulse control, problems in school and substance abuse issues. Additionally, I can answer questions about youth with sex issues, domestic violence, child abuse, child sex abuse, as the abuser and the one that has been abused, parent abuse, physical, mental and psychological abuse. I answer questions about marriage and divorce. I can't answer questions about medication that has been ordered by a psychiatrist and it's side affects or should you stop taking it. I can answer the question as to what reason the medication was ordered.

I have been providing care, guidance, and social services for children, adolescents, and their families for 32plus years. I work with young people who struggle with behavioral problems and issues at home and school. I assist our youth in developing healthy living habits and motivate them to become productive citizens. In addition, I work with the parents and families to motivate and encourage strengthening the family. I have worked with families that have been homeless, in poverty, peer pressure, and bullying. I currently counsel with youth that are on probation for battery, domestic violence, petit and petite theft, substance substance abuse and sex offenders. I also speak with their teachers and go into the homes and schools. I am a mentor to all these children and their parents. When help is needed beyond my expertise I will suggest where to take the child to receive the proper services.

Published 6 books and were sold at the Christian Book Store for one year.

Ph.d in Sacred Religious Counseling; Ph.d in Counseling Psychology; MA in Public Administration; BA in Paralegal; Clinically Certified Domestic Violence Counselor; CFARS (CHILDREN'S FUNCTIONAL ASSESSMENT RATING SCALE); and for adults the FARS (FUNCTIONAL ASSESSMENT RATING SCALE. I am also a Licensed Clinical Pastoral Counselor.

Biblical Studies with highest Honors. Magna Cum laude.

In the past I worked for two different agencies as a Case Manager, a Therapist and a Counselor for the youth. I worked under the leadership of the two agencies as an independent contractor. 3 years ago I began working my own business, which has been in existence since 2002 in counseling. Presently I am working with youth that are on probation and is court ordered to take an anger management and/or impulse control class with me. I am also registered with the county to perform marriage counseling and weddings.