Teenage Problems/Parents pressure me

Question
Hi, I'm a boy and 15 years old. My parents are pressuring me so much. I know they have high expectations on me, but it stresses me out when they compare me to others and criticize how poorly I perform. I admit I'm not doing as well as I should be, and that I'm slacking off, but I'm having trouble getting back to being a A student since my parents seem to pressure me a lot. What should I do?

Answer
Bryan, I learned long ago to never compare one child to any other child. Every child is unique.  I learned, through my job, which was to compare the work that people do, not to what other people with the same job title and grade , but to a "STANDARD" now a standard is a book that describes the kind of work a person does by a whole system of classification. It shows , for example what a grade 5 worker would typically do and a grade 7 worker and a grade 9 worker. You get the idea. But parents are always comparing their children to each other or the neighbors kid. There are also "standards" in the field of measurement. For example, the length of a meter used to be the length of an Iridium bar kept at standard temperature and pressure at a lab that used to be in Paris. It was used to determine exactly the length of a meter stick. Now can anyone say for sure that the meter stick or "yardstick" is exactly 36 inches long or is it 35 and 7/8 of an inch long. In short if you compare a yardstick to a hundred other yardsticks, most will be 36 inches long but a few may be shorter or longer. This argument will not get you very far with your parents. Its just for your information. I suggest you talk calmly with your parents and let them know how much their criticism "hurts" you. You can tell them ,they are not very supportive of you by comparing you to someone else.  Its possible that you could be a student at a private school or at a religious affiliated school which means they must be paying a high tuition. If you have a cell phone or computer or video game addiction then I can understand their concern. These devices are not in the interests of a good student. They tend to be used for "socializing" more than for education or researching something. In all the schools I have ever attended, not a single one ever had a vending machine. If your parents needed to get a hold of you they called the office. I realize that's kind of old fashioned now. What would make it easier for you to be a more proficient student? For them to make sure you have a quiet place to study? I found that using earplugs helps me to "tune out" everything. Some people need a radio on. Since you are a teen you may need more than eight hours of sleep a night. If schools started at 900am instead of 800am there would be a lot fewer sleepy kids in school. If you skip breakfast, its a huge mistake. It should probably be your greatest meal. You need the energy and you don't need to be hungry. A hungry person is focusing on when and what they are going to eat, not school.  Its best to not get into a shouting match because you are not going to win. Don't try to settle all of their concerns in a single day. You did not say what they specifically criticize. Is it too many activities or too many friends, too much TV?  If you are not now a church goer, then you need to become one. If there is a youth fellowship at a church near you, consider joining it. You will find supporting friends there. If you do not have an extremely close relationship with God, then begin. If I have not helped you please write back.

Teenage Problems

Jonathan