Teenage Problems/How do I tell my mother I think I have ADD?

Question
Hello, I'm in a sort of odd situation. I'm fourteen, and I believe I have ADD/ADHD. I have suspected this for a while. I'm inattentive, restless, et cetera. It's started to interfere with my schoolwork.

My younger brother has some sort of disability along the lines of ADD. (Though that, autism, and several others have been ruled out.) Because we do not have the money to see a specialist, he hasn't been diagnosed. In the absence of treatment and management options, my mother has resorted to babying him.

I'm afraid if I confess to my mother that I think I have ADD, she'll accuse me of trying to make myself the center of attention and completely dismiss me. I really want to get help, as I am starting high school in September, and I'm afraid of my grades slipping. I almost got thrown out of marching band for not being able to concentrate. But I'm so afraid of my mother rejecting me.

Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Answer
Hello,

The best advice I can give you is to tell your mother that you think you might have ADD/ADHD and that you want to get checked by a doctor. Your mom will most likely not reject you, but make sure SHE knows that you want to know for sure because your lack of concentration would eventually begin to severely effect your school work.

I don't have much experience in this field, but this is the best advice I can give you on this topic.

I hope this helps,

Brittney

Teenage Problems

Brittney