Teenage Problems/Dealing with daughter and ego

My 16 year old daughter has had a major personality change recently. She's normally a gentle, kind girl, and looks a little bit like Taylor Swift.
However, her ego has recently got the better of her, after a girl told her she looked like Taylor, and now everything she does revolves around her ego or inflating it. She sometimes says about things "That will DEFLATE MY EGO!!" and her social media pages are full of nothing but "WORSHIP MY EGO"-type stuff, but nothing personal. A friend of ours thinks it goes beyond normal teen behavior and may indicate a mental problem.

Me and her mum are worried; could this indicate some sort of illness, or is it normal teenage behaviour?
If we did go in for some sort of assessment, wouldn't it be expensive or could it be NHS-related? (also, she's got Asperger's syndrome, a side-form of autism too)

I mean, if you had a friend or colleague who refused to do things because of their ego, wouldn't you be concerned?

It's odd, and it worries me.

(I'm on a shared wi-fi, so on the move, if this is a bit hastily written, I'm sorry!!)

Hi John,

I really believe that this is normal teenage behavior. It's typical to get a "big head" when someone tells you that you look like a beautiful country singer. She may be taking it a bit too far. I wouldn't go as far as to say that she has a mental problem.

I would be concerned if a friend refused to do certain things because of their ego but I wouldn't go as far as to say that they have a mental problem. At least not the mental problem I'm thinking about. When you say mental problem, I believe you mean that something is wrong with her brain and that she needs some sort of treatment.

Again, I wouldn't go that far. I've seen people change their behavior because they're trying to imitate someone else. It's perfectly normal for a 16 year old girl to get a bit conceited and big headed after being compared to a famous entertainer.

I know that this seems odd to you but it's perfectly normal. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Now if she begins to get act raunchy and display inappropriate behavior like hanging out with a bunch of guys and things like that, then I would be worried. This will pass. Eventually someone at school will call her out if her ego gets too big. Someone will put her in her place and that will be the end of that.

Don't worry about it. Your daughter will be fine. I wouldn't jump and start paying for therapists just yet. It's not that serious at this point. She's displaying normal teen behavior which has nothing to do with her having autism. Some teens go through this. Eventually someone will let her know that she's not Taylor Swift and everything will go back to normal.

Good Luck!  

Teenage Problems

Scarlet Murdock

Even though I have no teenagers of my own, I've seen, heard and have experienced a lot of things dealing with teenagers. I take the experience of me being a teen along with the problems and issues teens have today and I offer my opinions and advice. Since I'm no longer in my teens, I'm wiser, which means that I can definitely guide you in the right direction when it comes to solving your problems.

Experience is a website that I am very proud to say that I am a part of. I created this site for teenagers all over. I wanted to give you a place where you could gain some knowledge, ask questions and see what your fellow teenagers can offer you. Teen-Babble is about sharing experiences, growing and becoming a better person. I am also part of my local Boys and Girls club where I hang out with teens about 3 times a day and help them with anything I can.

Boys and Girls Club

Western Michigan University