Teenage Problems/my penis

Question
i have just turned 14 a few months ago and i am still not able to retract my foreskin. when i try i can only just get a very very small bit to show and that to i can barely see it. i was wondering at what age i should be able to retract it so that i can clean underneath.
thanks alot,Paul

Answer
Hi Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me and I hope that I can help.

It is important that you are able to retract your foreskin in order to be able to clean your penis properly. The skin around the head of your penis is quite tight but should loosen up after you have had a bath or a shower. If it doesn't, then you may want to consider going to speak to a doctor to see if you have a condition called Phimosis which means that you have an abnormally tight foreskin. If this is the case, then the doctor can talk to you and your parents about the options available for correcting it and you can make your choice. If you have had this problem for a number of years then I would definitely recommend that you go and see a doctor because as you go through puberty it becomes a lot more important to be able to clean under your foreskin (especially if you masturbate).

If you feel uncomfortable talking to your parents about what is going on, you can ask them to come to the doctors with you but ask them to wait outside whilst you discuss your problem and this may avoid any embarrassment.

The problem may resolve itself if it is relatively new but if it has been ongoing then it always worth getting it checked out just for your own piece of mind.

I hope that helps.  

Teenage Problems

Daryl Taylor, BSc (Hons) Psychology, PGDip (pending certification)