Teenage Problems/depression..

Question
I'm not sure if its just a teen phase or something. But i am overly depressed for what seems like all the time. Family issues, personal issues, boy issues etc. The same as any other teen just a bit more severe. I started self harm at age 11. I started hating myself at a pretty early. When my family found out they saw it as "looking for attention". I've been clean from self harm for about a year now & i'm 17. I told my family about my frequent 'suicidal thoughts' and again they just thought i was seeking attention, when in reality i'm just seeking help. My family is verbally and physically abusive, but i love them anyway. My friends only advice is to stay strong. But that isn't always enough. How am i supposed to seek professional help when my family doesn't even believe i need it? My coping mechanism is drugs. Which it shouldn't be, because i know way better than to do it. But its the only thing that numbs the pain. At least for a little while. But my question is, how do i overcome my depression? Because everyday is a battle with myself.

Answer
Seek help outside of family. Chances are you are attending school. All schools offer counseling and they are professionals who can help you work through or at least point you in a direction to fix the problems that Are affecting you. There are also services that are offered through like the boys and girls clubs churches and other religious groups where they aren't trying to convert you but offer counseling services as well. I am unfortunaly not the person to seek help from as these issues take someone who knows much more about where you are coming from and I do not have that knowledge. I know that if you call a school and ask for counseling they will often be happy to aid you or again point you in the right direction.

I hope you are able to rise above this depression and addiction to drugs.  

Teenage Problems

Steven