Teenage Problems/Celebrity Crush

Question
Hello!!!!
I am Mary and I live in Greece ,so sorry if I made mistakes.I am 14 years old. I have a problem. I have a celebrity crush. At first I liked his songs but then I started seeing videos of him, everyday, learning about his siblings and about him a lot of things. I realized that I felt in love with him. I kept on seeing his videos every day. Then I saw that my friends started making stories about their celebrities crushes called "imagine". I had the idea to make an imagine as well. So now I am dependent!!!!!! I just can't stop thinking about him and trying to find a way to meet him. I know that a lot of girls on my age have celebrity crushes but I have to figure this out. Please can you help me???

Thanks for your time and greetings from Greece

Answer
Hi there Mary,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me and I hope that I can help.

In a world of doom and gloom where everything seems sad and upsetting, we all want something that can make us happy and give us a glimmer of hope that there are reasons to smile. Some people find this in following sports, others in achievements through their studies; but some find this in music or TV. Either way, everyone is trying to do the same thing, find a reason to be happy and make sense of the World amongst all of this turnmoil. Celebrities live lives that we, 'normal' people do not and their good looks, wealth and lifestyle are all things that make us want to aspire to be like them or to be with him. They seem to be almost perfect, like they are almost not human...but the only difference between celebrities and 'normal' people is that they have been given an opportunity that everyone else hasn't and they have used their talent to succeed...which is admirable. At your age, in a world of chaos and uncertainty, where your hormones will be going up and down on a probably hourly basis, it is not surprising that you want to have some stability in your life and something to act as a constant that is always there to make you happy. This could be why you have become so attached to this celebrity because you are looking for stability and happiness when everything around you appears to be changing which will also be made more confusing by the fact that you are beginning to want to start to have relationships and experience love first hand.

Most people have crushes and they are a perfectly normal part of everyday life but most people 'grow out' of obsessive crushes when they get older as other important aspects of life take over. When you are younger, you have more time to dedicate to getting involved with listening to music, seeing films and reading magazines so you have more opportunity to fall into this almost unreal world.

So to reassure you, it is 'normal' to have crushes at your age and it is something that you should grow out of. As long as the crush is not going to harm anyone or leads you to act irresponsibly towards other people or yourself then you should not be concerned.

I hope this helps.  

Teenage Problems

Daryl Taylor, BSc (Hons) Psychology, PGDip (pending certification)