You are here:

Teenage Problems/I'm Thinking About Running Away....


I don't know if I'm asking this in the right spot.... Please help me if you can...
I'm 16,
I can't deal and cope with this anymore. It hasn't gotten better and it won't. I'm scared to go home. The only time I actually feel safe is if I'm home alone or in the corner of my room, or under the stairs. I have two very close friends, one has run away and I still keep in contact with her. I may be able to stay with her until I could come up with a better plan and hopefully find a job to get more financially secure. I'm constantly being blamed or screamed or swore at. Little kids who come to my house get the seem treatment and sometimes they have it worse. I have gotten anxiety and depression. What I want to know is if I'm caught because me parents will fill out a missing persons report. What would happen? Would I have to go to Juvie? I'm not one of those people who will steal, or do anything like that.
If you don't know what would happen that's okay. Thanks for reading this.

Hi Hally,

Thank you for writing to me.  I need some more information about who you live with and why you are so unhappy.  I do need to give you some advice.  If you ran away, your parents would have to file a missing persons report. If you are found with your friend and she is under 18 years of age, both of you will either be returned to your parents or placed in a group home. Since you have not committed any crimes, chances are you will not be sent to juvenile detention.  If your friend is 18 years or older she could be charged with harboring a minor or contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Furthermore, it is very difficult to get employment. Are you still in school? What are your grades? If you do get a job, what happens if someone that knows your family should tell them where you are working?

Let's talk about this further before you get into a situation in which you cannot turn back or you discover that you have made a terrible mistake.

Dr. Lee

Teenage Problems

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dr. Shirley M Lee


I can answer questions relating to youth that are on probation, arrested, has anger management issues, lack of impulse control, problems in school and substance abuse issues. Additionally, I can answer questions about youth with sex issues, domestic violence, child abuse, child sex abuse, as the abuser and the one that has been abused, parent abuse, physical, mental and psychological abuse. I answer questions about marriage and divorce. I can't answer questions about medication that has been ordered by a psychiatrist and it's side affects or should you stop taking it. I can answer the question as to what reason the medication was ordered.


I have been providing care, guidance, and social services for children, adolescents, and their families for 32plus years. I work with young people who struggle with behavioral problems and issues at home and school. I assist our youth in developing healthy living habits and motivate them to become productive citizens. In addition, I work with the parents and families to motivate and encourage strengthening the family. I have worked with families that have been homeless, in poverty, peer pressure, and bullying. I currently counsel with youth that are on probation for battery, domestic violence, petit and petite theft, substance substance abuse and sex offenders. I also speak with their teachers and go into the homes and schools. I am a mentor to all these children and their parents. When help is needed beyond my expertise I will suggest where to take the child to receive the proper services.


Published 6 books and were sold at the Christian Book Store for one year.

Ph.d in Sacred Religious Counseling; Ph.d in Counseling Psychology; MA in Public Administration; BA in Paralegal; Clinically Certified Domestic Violence Counselor; CFARS (CHILDREN'S FUNCTIONAL ASSESSMENT RATING SCALE); and for adults the FARS (FUNCTIONAL ASSESSMENT RATING SCALE. I am also a Licensed Clinical Pastoral Counselor.

Awards and Honors
Biblical Studies with highest Honors. Magna Cum laude.

Past/Present Clients
In the past I worked for two different agencies as a Case Manager, a Therapist and a Counselor for the youth. I worked under the leadership of the two agencies as an independent contractor. 3 years ago I began working my own business, which has been in existence since 2002 in counseling. Presently I am working with youth that are on probation and is court ordered to take an anger management and/or impulse control class with me. I am also registered with the county to perform marriage counseling and weddings.

©2017 All rights reserved.